basic rules and regulations when driving in spain …
Main roads in Spain tend to be fairly good.
When using the autopistas, which are the motorways or main highways here, you’ll be charged a toll.
However, you’ll find heaps of free secondary roads … where you’re sure to enjoy far prettier countryside and scenery, and get a taste of true Spain.
Hiring a car in Spain can be the best and most affordable way of exploring the country. Browse reviews of top car rental companies for Spain here.
Remember … if visiting narrow-streeted villages, a small car may be better!
Let’s take a look at documentation, plus basic driving rules for Spain …
driving in spain – documentation
Car rental firms tend to be lax about checking documentation/driving licences but, if an accident did occur, your papers would need to be in order.
European Union residents should only need their ordinary driving licence – especially if it’s the type which includes your photo.
Other nationalities may be well-advised to obtain an International Driving Permit/Licence – obtainable in the country which issued your original licence.
rules and regulations
Here are a few basic rules and regulations you’ll need to follow when driving in spain …
- drive on the right-hand side of the road
- traffic from the right generally has right-of-way
- unless otherwise indicated, speed limits are 50 kph in towns/cities,
90 kph for open roads, 100 kph for multi-lane open raods, and
120 kph for motorways/highways
- wearing of seatbelts is obligatory in both front and back seats
- 2 triangles must be kept in the car in case of emergency/breakdown
- reflective vests are obligatory for emergency/breakdown
- children under 3 must use child seats
- children under 12 are not allowed in the front (unless at least 1m35
pages of interest
- Read our guide to car rental in Spain here … complete with reviews of some of the best companies which provide car hire.
- Check out this top-rated car rental search engine which will instantly show you all the best car rental deals available.
- Collecting your car at a Spanish airport? Browse information about all main airports in Spain here.
- Check out all sorts of travel offers to Spain here … flights, hotels, package deals …