Learn Spanish -
List Of Numbers In Spanish ...
Looking for a List Of Numbers In Spanish so you can count the Spanish sheep in the picture above, to help you fall asleep at night?...
... Well, on this page, you'll find Spanish numbers clearly explained ... but starting at one hundred.
If you've not already done so, it's best to learn the Spanish numbers up to 100 first ...
You'll discover them by clicking here.
Do try to fully assimilate counting in Spanish from 1-100 before continuing, because the rules for those numbers also apply to figures over one hundred.
For example, the Spanish for 16 (dieciséis) is a contraction - of ten and six (diez y séis) - and this same contraction is used when 16 is used in cardinal numbers of more than 100 (eg 116, 216 etc).
So, make sure the lower Spanish numbers are clear in your mind before you continue.
Scroll towards the end of this page for links to more learn Spanish tutorials.
Check out also our Learn Spanish Kindle Books ... they're really affordable, both offering FREE downloadable Spanish flash cards to aid learning, plus one also includes downloadable mp3s to help your pronunciation.
Numbers In Spanish - Using Cien
You're already aware that the Spanish for one hundred is cien or ciento.
The problem is, when should you use cien and when should you use ciento?...
When there is exactly one hundred of something and the number is used with the noun, you use the shortened form cien, whether that noun is masculine or feminine.
- cien libros (one hundred books)
- cien plumas (one hundred pens)
When you want to form numbers with 100, you would use ciento. For example:
- 101 : ciento uno (100/ciento + 1/uno = ciento uno)
- 114 : ciento catorce (100/ciento + 14/catorce = ciento catorce)
- 127 : ciento veintisiete (ciento + veintisiete = ciento veintisiete)
- 165 : ciento sesenta y cinco (ciento + sesenta y cinco = ciento sesenta y cinco)
Observe that "y" is NOT used to separate hundreds from tens and only used in numbers 131-199 (also 231-299, 331-399, etc).
In other words:
- ciento tres (103) NOT ciento y tres
- ciento noventa y nueve (199) NOT ciento y noventa y nueve
Spanish Numbers - 200-999
To count up in hundreds, the plural form of ciento is used - cientos - along with the appropriate number, and it is written as one word.
So, counting up in hundreds as far as a thousand, your List Of Numbers In Spanish would read:
- 200 : doscientos
- 300 : trescientos
- 400 : cuatrocientos
- 500 : quinientos
- 600 : seiscientos
- 700 : setecientos
- 800 : ochocientos
- 900 : novecientos
Observe the slight irregularities in quinientos, setecientos and novecientos.
The Spanish numbers 200, 300, 400 etc have masculine and feminine forms. For example:
- doscientos libros (200 books - masculine noun)
- doscientas plumas (200 pens - feminine noun)
Counting In Spanish - Examples Under 1000
Using the Spanish numbers you have learnt so far and applying the relevant rules, here are examples of a few numbers between one hundred and a thousand.
- 153 : ciento cincuenta y tres
- 325 : trescientos veinticinco
- 513 : quinientos trece
- 777 : setecientos setenta y siete
- 802 : ochocientos dos
- 948 : novecientos cuarenta y ocho
List Of Numbers In Spanish - Over 1000
The Spanish for a thousand is, simply, mil, and this form is used when counting with other numbers.
However, should you wish to say "thousands of books", you would use the plural - "miles de libros".
Examples of some Spanish numbers using mil are:
- 1,000 : mil
- 10,000 : diez mil
- 100,000 : cien mil
- 1,316 : mil trescientos dieciséis
- 12,855 : doce mil ochocientos cincuenta y cinco
- 362,121 : trescientos sesenta y dos mil ciento veintiuno
Counting In Spanish - Millions
The Spanish for a million is un millón.
Notice that, unlike the Spanish for a thousand, you need to include un.
The same rule applies for the Spanish number for a billion - un billón. You have to include the un.
To make the plural of millón or billón, you just add -es and remove the accent.
Examples of these higher Spanish numbers would be:
- dos millones cuatrocientos cincuenta y siete mil veintidos
- cinco millones trescientos ochenta y dos mil trescientos sesenta y ocho
Remember, for your List of Numbers In Spanish under 100, click here.
Check Out My Kindle Learn Spanish Books
Our Learn Spanish Kindle books are terrific value for money!
- Conquer 3535 Spanish Words Instantly is a novel way to quickly learn Spanish vocabulary and grammar, and includes downloadable mp3s to aid pronunciation, plus downloadable Spanish flash cards. If you're outside the United States, just search for the code B00ITYTFMS at your local Amazon Kindle Store.
- Conquer 918 Spanish Verbs is a simple, 7-Step System for getting to grips with those pesky Spanish Verbs, and also includes downloadable Spanish flash cards. Code number B00EAM4HJO.
Other pages of interest
Here you have some of our other articles about learning Spanish: