After listening to Spanish friends and neighbors and experimenting for over 20 years, I reckon it boils down to the following points …
Use a good-quality, home-made stock if time permits.
Use bomba rice.
Allow rice grains to cook in the oil for a couple of minutes before adding the stock.
Use crumbled saffron strands to bestow the famous yellow color rather than cheaper, powdered colorants, as saffron will also impart a wonderful aroma.
So, do you now feel ready to embark on paella-making?
You’ll discover many different types of paella – chicken, rabbit, meat, vegetarian, or a mixture. So, first, you’ll need decide what type you prefer.
Below is a simple recipe for a scrumptiously healthy seafood paella.
You’ll find it sufficient for four hearty servings.
Prefer smaller servings?…
Then reduce the amount of rice, remembering to reduce the stock by the same amount.
Should the rice become a little dry before it’s properly cooked, just add a little more water/stock.
authentic spanish food recipe – seafood paella
Ingredients – for 4 people
- 4 cups rice
- 8 cups fish stock
- 8 king-sized prawns/langoustines
- 8 mussels
- 200 gr shrimps
- 200 gr peas (fresh or frozen)
- 2 ripe tomatoes – skinned and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic – thinly sliced
- 3 strands saffron – crumbled
- Olive oil
- Heat oil in pan and sauté garlic.
- Add tomatoes, peas, shrimps and saffron.
- Cook for a few minutes.
- Add rice, stir well, cook 2 minutes, then add stock.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Decorate with seafood a few minutes before rice is cooked.
- Cover paella with lid to poach seafood.
- Stand for 5 minutes before serving.
|Spanish Tapas E-book
Searching for tasty, healthy memories of Spain, using affordable, basic ingredients? Get them by clicking here…