You’ll find the wonderfully creamy Arroz con Leche or Spanish Rice Pudding an extremely popular dessert here in Spain.
In England, we traditionally bake our rice pudding in the oven.
But, in Spain, they cook their arroz con leche in a saucepan on top – on the hob.
The result is a lot creamier than the English one … but you’ll have to keep stirring, otherwise it’ll stick to the pan, and you’ll need to keep the heat nice and low.
Another major difference between English and Spanish rice puddings, is that the Spanish tend to make the most of their wonderful abundance of citrus fruits, and tip any orange or lemon peel into the milky mixture, to add a fruity flavor.
They don’t use just the zest, but the whole peel … removing it prior to serving, of course.
You can make this simple arroz con leche extra special by mixing in a little orange liqueur and/or sultanas/dried fruit at the end.
Easy Spanish Recipes – Arroz Con Leche
(Spanish Rice Pudding)
Ingredients – for 4 people
- 1 litre milk
- 150 gr short grained, pudding rice
- 125 gr sugar
- 1/2 stick cinnamon
- Peel of lemon/orange
- Powdered cinnamon
- Add milk, cinnamon stick and orange/lemon peel to saucepan.
- Gently bring to the boil.
- Lower heat and gradually stir in rice.
- Simmer for 20 minutes – stirring.
- Mix in sugar.
- Simmer a further 15 minutes – stirring – until creamy.
- Remove lemon/orange peel and cinnamon stick.
- Pour into individual dishes.
- Sprinkle with powdered cinnamon and serve.
|Spanish Tapas E-book
Searching for tasty, healthy memories of Spain, using affordable, basic ingredients? Get them by clicking here…