Apart from being a tremendous joy to your taste-buds, mussels are an extremely affordable source of protein.
Plus, they provide you with other important vitamins and minerals, such as selenium, zinc, potassium, phosphorus, vitamins A and B12 …
But, you can become a wee bit bored of just steaming them, can’t you?
So, what’s the answer?…
…Try out this tasty tapas recipe for a different way of enjoying healthy mussels.
It’s called Tiger Mussels or Mejillones Tigre, is popular in Spain, and you’re sure to come across them during your travels here.
It’s also something just a little bit different to offer your guests, and one of 300 mouth-watering tapas recipes you’ll discover in my Spanish Tapas E-book.
Remove mussels from shells once steamed and prior to chopping, but don’t discard the shells as you’ll need them later in the recipe …
SPANISH TAPAS RECIPES – TIGER MUSSELS (MEJILLONES TIGRE)
Ingredients – for 4 people
- 500 gr fresh mussels – steamed, removed from shells, and finely chopped
- 1 onion – peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic – peeled and finely chopped
- 1 hot chilli pepper – finely chopped
- 50 gr flour
- 200 ml milk
- Seasoned flour for coating
- 1 egg – beaten
- 150 gr breadcrumbs
- Olive oil for deep frying
- Heat a little oil in a pan, add the onion and garlic, and soften.
- Mix in the chopped chilli and mussels.
- Season, and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook for a minute.
- Whisk in the milk and bring to boil – stirring.
- Set mixture aside to cool – it will thicken further.
- Spoon mixture into mussel shells.
- Coat in flour, dip in egg and cover with breadcrumbs.
- Deep fry in hot oil until golden, and serve.
|Spanish Tapas E-book
Searching for tasty, healthy memories of Spain, using affordable, basic ingredients? Get them by clicking here…