or spanish style omelette
better known in spain as tortilla
Not a particularly good photo of the tortilla I recently made – afraid I’m not that hot with the camera!
However, it tasted delicious and was enjoyed by all!
Spanish omelette is certainly one of the best-known and most popular of tapas dishes … but, why should this be?
Well, apart from being lip-smackingly good to eat, ingredients for the traditional tortilla recipe are basic and economical. After all, who can’t lay their hands on a few eggs and potatoes?
Having said that, if you don’t happen to have potatoes in your cupboard, then you make the filling out of whatever you fancy or have – spinach, peas, beans … it’s up to you to decide.
The recipe below is for a traditional potato-and-onion omelette, and is one of 300 dishes you’ll discover in my Spanish Tapas E-book, along with other tortilla recipes.
If you prefer, you can parboil the potatoes first – then you won´t need to fry them so long.
Unlike a French omelette, you’ll need to cook a Spanish tortilla slowly, over a low heat, taking care not to overcook, as you want the end result juicy rather than rubbery.
Traditionally, you’d tip the tortilla on a plate and return to pan to brown the other side, but you’ll find simply browning under the grill a whole lot easier.
SPANISH STYLE OMELETTE – TORTILLA
Ingredients – for 4 people
- 2 medium potatoes – peeled and diced 1cm square, or thickly sliced
- 6 eggs – lightly beaten
- 1 onion – peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic – peeled and crushed with salt
- Olive oil
- Heat oil in pan, add onion and garlic and soften.
- Introduce potato and sauté.
- Lower heat, cover pan, cook until potatoes are tender.
- Tip potato mixture in with beaten eggs.
- Transfer to another pan with clean oil.
- Cook over low heat 10-15 minutes until mixture is just set.
- Brown upper-side under hot grill.
- Leave to cool, then carefully turn out.
- Serve in triangles or bite-sized squares.
|Spanish Tapas E-book
Searching for tasty, healthy memories of Spain, using affordable, basic ingredients? Get them by clicking here…